Fifty Shades of Red…or Oh What a Week It’s Been…

I know, I know…there was no blog last week.  Typically, I always announce prior to any blog absence that I’m either away at a class or seminar or I’m on vacation.  That wasn’t the deal last week.  I simply ran out of week before I could get one written.

The last two weeks have been horribly busy at my house.  My daughter and son-in-law are moving.  Notice I didn’t say I was moving.  It is my children that are moving.  However, that meant that I had to do double Mimi-duty.  I’ve had the granddarlings a good bit the last two weeks, which I expected and had planned for.

What I hadn’t planned for was everything and everybody else getting in the middle of this move.  For instance, take Wednesday night.  Please.  Someone take it, because that was the point I really understood the phrase, “I had to laugh to keep from crying.”

It started out as a seemingly wonderful Wednesday.  It was cold and windy, but the weather was clear.  The DH and I had to be at our lawyers’ office at 11 to close on the house that my daughter and son-in-law are moving into.  To set the scene, the last closing we were at, our banker was there.  This time, he wasn’t.  And no one from the lawyers’ office had contacted us (even after repeated attempts to contact them), with the final figure for the closing costs.

Now add this little fact to the above scenario:  Our lawyer was late. Not just 10 minutes, but really late.  Finally, this young and I mean really young kid pops his head through the door and says that our lawyer is busy with another closing and he was going to handle us.  I wasn’t worried.  This was a straight-forward direct from seller-to-buyer transaction with no real estate people in sight.  And it went really, really smoothly until the young lawyer turned to me and asked where the check was.  I promptly pulled out the money market check book and then he shot me a look.

“We need a certified check,” he says.

“You do?”  was my answer, “Because I don’t have one because I was never contacted by this office with a final amount.”

He fumbled for minute and then agreed our banker could wire them the final closing cost by 3 p.m. that afternoon.

No biggie, right?  Should be pretty easy…and in a perfect world, it would be.  However, Wednesday happened to be the day I couldn’t reach him either on his office phone or cell phone.  I called.  And called.  And called.  And got voicemail, after voicemail, after voicemail.  So it’s now 2:30 and I’m reaching panic mode.  If the final payment isn’t made by 3, we must re-do all this paperwork.

Desperate, I finally march my way into the local bank branch and speak with a very nice teller who probably dislikes lawyers as much as I do.  At first, she tells me the person who can help me with a certified check has three customers ahead of me…and now it’s 2:45. I explained the situation to her – I need a wire transfer or certified check, the law firm didn’t let me know the amount until this morning at closing, yada, yada, yada.

Her eyes narrow and she frowns.  “Give me that wire information,” she says.

Which I promptly hand over, listening to her mutter about lawyers under her breath and me agreeing with every syllable she utters.

Five minutes later, I’m out the door with wire receipt in hand, thinking I really need to send this lady flowers next week.

Crisis, avoided, so all is well now, right?

Well the first crisis is.  Later that evening my DH and I have just sat down to eat an early dinner when his phone rings and it’s my son-in-law.  His car has broken down.  On Wendover.  And it’s full of stuff he’s moving from the apartment to the house.  Since I’m eating soup and you can’t put that in a to-go box, we scarf down our meal in record time and head toward Wendover.

And immediately passed him, pulled over on the other side of the road.  For those of you who don’t live in Guilford County, Wendover is Highway 70.  And it’s busy.  Seven lanes of traffic, punctuated by various stop lights, ramps, and people that wouldn’t know what a turn signal is if it jumped up and bit them in the butt.  So, we make our way over to the further-most left hand lane, to make a legal U-turn in order to get back to our son-in-law.  We’re sitting at the stop light, when this older gentleman who probably really doesn’t need to be driving at night slams into the rear of the car.

Did I mention we were driving my car?  Why were we driving my car?  Well, that was because my husband’s SUV is in the shop with airbag issues and my knee still won’t let me climb up into his truck because it’s too far off the ground.  And all of that hits me at once – the fact that if my car is out of commission because of this guy, that I am car-less for God knows how long.

After the day I had, ask me how many shades of red I was seeing?

Fortunately for me and the geezer that hit me my car is drivable.  We get to our son-in-law and call a tow truck.  Meanwhile, my daughter pulls up behind us.  I get in the car with her and she’s going to drive me home and then go into work, since she works third shift.  We pull into my driveway and it’s then I realize that since we had been using my car that evening…and the DH had been driving….he still had my key ring and my house keys were with him.

Yeah….that’s how it’s kind of been for the last two weeks.  So that’s why there was no blog this week and I have pretty much got zilch done this week.

I did get this far with one snowman block…

DSC00728 (1)

And I only got this far with my Farmer’s Wife blocks….


And I did get these blocks done for the Halo Medallion.


I have finally gotten clearance from the doctor to play on my long-arm again.  I’ve missed Loretta and have already loaded up a new pantograph to play with this weekend.


Here’s to a quieter week….


Love and Stitches,

Sherri and Sam

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: